Pardubice is one of the most beautiful towns in Eastern Bohemia. It lies in a plain at the confluence of the Elbe and the Crudimka rivers. The settlement of Pardubice can be traced back to the 12th century, according to the first written document dating back to 1295. In the 15th and 16th century the town flourished thanks to the House of Pernštejn and later in the 1850´, it was the railroad that made the town flourish again. Today, Pardubice is the modern city which values its history. An important landmark of Pardubice is the Castle, along with the historical Pernštejn Town Square with its Green Gate.